Print this page

The Saling Grove Estate

The Saling Grove Estate

For several generations, Saling Grove has been a much-loved family home.

We have continued devoting ourselves to the upkeep, repair and diversification of the Estate including the creation of The Orangery as an event venue for concerts and exhibitions, Golden Grove caravan park and the development of various accommodation across the Estate. 


The house at Saling Grove was built by John Yeldham in 1754.  He was a prominent landowner in North Essex and also leased land in various parts of Essex from Guys Hospital, London.

In 1790, Humphry Repton (1752-1818), the last great landscape designer of the Georgian period, was commissioned to design the gardens and parkland. Repton's account book for 1791 notes 'Nov 5th & 6th book maps and slides - £6.60' for John Yeldham, Saling Grove.

The estate was purchased in 1795 by Barlett Goodrich, a 'returning' Virginian. A descendent of John Goodrich who settled in Virigina in 1625, the family were amongst one of the earliest settlers.

Upon the breaking out of the American Revolutionary War (1775-83), the Goodrichs found themselves on the wrong side by supporting the Crown. Notoriously they harried the colony's merchant fleet, operating in effect as privateers.

They were undoubtedly involved in the Battle of Chesapeake Bay that was a strategic victory for the French and the Americans. Consequently their lands were confiscated, members were put in prison, others including Barlett Goodrich fled returning to England.

He extended the house at Saling Grove and his two daughters lived at Saling Hall.

With no male heirs, the estate was subsquently purchased again and following the upheavals of the first and second world war the estate became much reduced. 


Saling Grove Essex. Part of The Gardens Trust